Monday, October 20, 2008

What is the Soul? Part 2



This is the second of a two-part entry.

When my wife and I were going through the process to adopt, we were told the Chinese story of the red thread. Basically it says that we are connected by an invisible red thread to everyone were supposed to come in contact with. Now how a thread can be both invisible and red they didn't explain. But the idea is that the connection between your child and you has always existed, even when you were half-way around the world apart from each other. And in this connection with each other we find another place where the soul reveals itself and blooms; that's at the intersection of you and me. The Apostle Paul tells us we are all part of the same body, the body of Christ. And if we are all part of the same body then surely we are all connected at the soul level. And let's face it, humans are pack animals and we need connection with others. For example, if you eat at a restaurant next to Abby she will undoubtedly end up on your lap or wallowing next to you. The kid has this incredible desire to feel physically connected all the time. Several years ago, Molly was missing an aunt of hers who had died and I told her that if she just thought about her, she could always feel Aunt Marie in her heart. Molly considered that for a moment, saying nothing. Then she looked at me and said, "Daddy I think that's where heaven is, I think it's in our hearts." Boy, the truth of that statement hit me hard. If we're all connected to God at the soul level and we're all connected to each other at the soul level than why wouldn't heaven actually be in the heart of each and every one of us? And sometimes when we embrace that need for connection and don't hold so tightly to our own identity, we can have some incredibly soulful experiences.

I was in grad school during the first Gulf War, and in the tutoring center where I worked there was some tension. Not only did we help the international students with their speaking and writing skills, but we had one international student on staff. His name was Ahmed, he was Muslim, and he was from Sudan in Africa. So the only differences Ahmed had from the rest of us in the tutoring center were his color, culture, race, and religion. Unfortunately he became a target for some of the other staff members fear of all things Muslim. This really bothered me, so I decided to try and befriend him. We talked about why he was in America and what he wanted to accomplish when he went back to Sudan. We talked about the similarities in his beliefs and mine. We talked about our families: mine two hours away by car, and his half-way round the world. And we found out that we weren't that different. The semester came to a close and we said our good-byes and that was that. Except it wasn't. The next day I was walking in a rain storm back to my apartment from campus just getting drenched, and thinking some of those words that Billy Ray Cyrus Jesus used to get mad at me about. As I was walking I heard a horn honking. As I turned to see who it was the window rolled down and Ahmed said "get in, get in." He was headed out of town and to the airport to go back to Sudan. So I got in, and he took me to my driveway. Before I got out, he grabbed my hand, and said, "my friend it is so good see you." And at that point something beautiful happened and our souls made a real connection. We sat there, holding hands, both of us with tears streaming down our faces. And in that moment all labels fell away, American, African, Muslim, Christian, none of it mattered. At that moment our souls sat in a quiet contentment as if we'd known each other for all eternity. And I believe on the soul level we have.

There is a sanskrit word: Namaste, and it means that the divine in me blesses and honors the divine in you. It's typically said as a greeting. That is what happened that day for me and Ahmed. We sat next to each other in his burgundy little Honda experiencing Namaste. There is a beautiful poem that expresses this perfectly. It was written by Rumi, who was a Sufi mystic, and it goes like this:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field.
I will meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase
each other doesn’t make any sense.

What is the soul? I don't know how to define it. But I believe the soul happens at the point where human meets divine. I believe it blossoms when the smallest, most vindictive, poutiest part of you is fully embraced, loved, and accepted by the most divine part of you. And I believe it takes flight when you and I acknowledge our connection and accept each other just as we are. Namaste
.

8 comments:

nowandzen said...

This was absolutely beautiful. Best yet. I will probably read it a few times over the years.

olddocwilson said...

Chris, I think I have learned how to post comments, now to learn how to add to the blog. That is possible?

olddocwilson said...

I don't remember exactly where I heard it or read it, but sometime during my fifth grade year I created a crude paper sign and posted it in my room - "Silence is True Communion". I recall that the author of this saying found that as soon as someone talks bias begins. Any accent or use of certain words lead you to make assumptions. The author may have said something about being blind to avoid further bias, but I don't remember. Much later in life I learned about Namaste and that old sign jumped back into my mind. Maybe the only way to know others and even God is to allow our "souls" to communicate - without words.

olddocwilson said...

In the book, “The Soul’s Code: In Search of Character and Calling” James Hillman postulates that the spirit or daimon chooses the body and situation to inhabit. He argues that neither genetics or environment have the complete answer to, “why am I this person?” He argues that at some time in everyone’s life, usually in childhood, you have a special moment in which you realize that there is a “calling” for you – the daimon making itself known. Genetics and environment may mold that calling, but few are able to choose another path. (Hard to believe that a career criminal would be called to the life of crime) So, I started thinking about my childhood. Was there a moment when I felt a call to be who I am today or a moment when I discovered who I was? As with many things, if you think about long enough you are bound find some incident meeting the criteria. There may have been other times in my childhood, but the first memorable experience came at age 16. I was at the first non-church camp, band camp, and at the end of the experience I was given an award for “best camper”. I was totally shocked at the time. As I thought about it later I realized that I wanted to help people and be in a leadership role. So, I am a nurse and have been in multiple leadership roles. Can you think of your moment???

nowandzen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Great thoughts Olddoc, and thanks for posting. A couple of things came to mind when I read your comments.

First, regarding "Silence is True Communion." That phrase really speaks to me. So much of religious experience revolves around saying or believing the right words. But as you point out, we all have personal bias which impacts the meaning of words for each of us. For example, if someone says the neutral word "tree" each of us will think or visualize something different. The degree to which that's true only increases for emotionally-charged words like "God" or "Jesus" or "Love." Silence is a space where definition and bias can fall away leaving us to experience pure communion. Herman Melville is quoted saying "God's one and only voice is silence." That seems fitting because achieving real silence (for me anyway) can be as tough as bagging Ahab's white whale.

Secondly, regarding the "aha" moment for you when you realized a sense of calling. That's a tough one for me, as I seem to perpetually be in the process of almost starting on the path to discovering that calling (whew!). The answer is probably there if I paid more attention. Yet for as much as I go on about the value of silence and hearing God's voice in quiet, I still fantasize about driving down the road and seeing a neon billboard that reads "Chris, you dummy, your purpose is ________."

Finally, I'm just a little jealous that you can say, "There was this one time, at band camp . . . where I discovered my calling in life."

nowandzen said...

Good stuff Olddoc. I loved the thought about the moment we talk bias begins and true communion being silence.

As far as a defining moment... I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :D

I take that back, I did have a defining moment at church camp where we played pass the lifesaver and well... I wasn't exactly called to be in the chippendales.

Gordon Highland said...

While I of course prefer the way you say it, for me, what we call "the soul" is not some single entity of sorts. I see it as the collective effect of all the cells in the body communicating with one another, those trillions of impulses that form a sort of buzz like an electrical current that resonates and helps us perceive our world one way or another. And then the brain goes and tries to interpret and filter it, which of course hampers things severely, much as our own mortality may prevent us from fully understanding our creator.

Of course the question then becomes whether the soul is confined to a body. My brain thinks so, yet I cannot remember ever having not existed. Your daughter is very wise to believe that heaven is in our hearts. Regardless, we all leave imprints upon one another that live on this way.

And in America, we call that red invisible thread Kevin Bacon. Great posts!